Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Happy Birthday, My Love

Today is my hubby's 40th birthday.  I threw him a surprise party last week and it was quite a surprise and quite a party.  Today, for his actual birthday the children and I will be taking him to dinner at "The Cooking Restaurant," or as most people refer to it, Benihana.

I thought I might share 10 fun facts about my husband.

1 - He CRACKS himself up.  I mean literally.  If he says something that HE thinks is funny, he can laugh to himself hysterically.  And he has this deep, booming voice and when he really gets going, well it's a site to behold.

2 - He has one accent.  You know how when you tell a story about someone with a regional dialect or foreign accent, you try to imitate it?  He has one accent and they all sound the same. Hispanic, Asian, Inner-city, New Yorker.  When he attempts to do an accent, it's hard to concentrate on the story because it's very distracting and makes no sense.

3 - He does not know the words to any song, however he will sing words (of his choosing) to the tune of the song playing with feeling and gusto.  Even the kids have picked up on it and they're really starting to get a kick out of it.

4 - Everyone likes my husband.  I, on the other hand, am the type of person about which people say "you either love her or hate her."  I have no gray area.  However, he is the consummate diplomat and always tactful.  What can I say? Opposites attract.

5 - We were introduced by a mutual friend who went on to introduce at least three other couples that eventually married.  We call him our own personal Chuck Woolery.

6 - He likes to discuss hypothetical situations.  "Who do you think would win in a fight, a lion or a crocodile?" If you answer "I don't know," he will badger you until you give a response, which inevitably is not the one he would pick, and then he won't understand why you picked whatever you picked.

7 - He sang "Deeper Than the Holler" by Randy Travis to me at our Wedding Reception.  I still smile when I hear that song.

8 - He has an affinity for odd names.  Harry Pitts.  Richard Johnson.  If you ever get him started on this topic, well, refer to number 1.

9 - He is an extremely defensive driver.  It drives me crazy because he constantly jerks the car out of the way of nothing.  It must be his Spidey senses tingling.

10 - He says the same things over and over again.  If he gets a song or a saying in his head, prepare to hear it for the next four hours or four days, and chances are he'll be singing the wrong words (refer to number 4).  For instance, he recently found an old intro for the Hulk cartoons he used to watch as a child.  He sang the theme song for a week straight.  "Doc Bruce Banner, pelted by gamma rays, turns into the Hulk."



I love him for all these, and many, many more, reasons.  Happy 40th Birthday, Sweetheart.  You're my best friend and forever love.

4 comments:

shannon said...

Ok, for this blog I had to figure out my password so I could comment. Over the last couple of days I have really missed you Lori, but this blog makes me miss your husband as well. The first one made me laugh so hard. As soon as I read it I could just hear his laugh. Tell him happy birthday from all us.

Peaches said...

He really enjoyed reading it this morning. I think it was better than any card I could've purchased.

Wendi said...

Miz Lori, That was truly one of the most sensitive, creative, funny and loving essays that I have ever had the pleasure to read. I love the fact that he gets songs stuck in his brain...so do I, and I won't quit singing it until something new comes along!
However, I do not agree with #4. (I think it was #4) You and Danny are both lovable---and I can't think of a single person that doesn't adore both of you. You guys are the best!
Oh, and Happy Birthday Danny!

Mainly a midwife said...

That's a great post. And it was a great party. And.. i love ya. You are tons of fun and you tell it like it is... I love that!